Tēnā koutou katoa
We have been asked to share the information below from Metlink in regard to transport. The College has put in place these recommendations.
What Metlink is doing:
- Supplying hand sanitiser on board school buses.
- Cleaning buses in accordance with Ministry of Health guidelines.
- Operate all school bus services.
What schools need to do:
- The College is putting a register together of students who travel on a school bus for contact tracing purposes.
- Ensure the school community understands the physical distancing requirements, hygiene requirements before boarding the bus, and their plan ‘B’.
- School staff will manage the after-school boarding of buses from school. This will help ensure that physical distancing can be maintained, and should any students not be able to board the bus, school staff can help the student to make alternative arrangements to get home.
What parents/caregivers need to do:
- Need to have a plan ‘B’ to get students to get to and from school in case the bus is already full.
- Ensure that their child understands the physical distancing requirements, hygiene requirements before boarding the bus, and their plan ‘B’.
On public services used by students:
- If students are travelling on public bus services they need to adhere to the physical distancing requirements on board that service (window seats only, no standing, and maintaining a 2 metre distance at bus stops)
- If students are travelling on public services please keep a record of travel.
On school services:
- The front door will be used for entrance and exit during Alert Level 2, as ‘normal’. Even though fares are currently free, we ask all students to tag on and off with their Snapper card.
- Students on school buses will be able to sit on all seats. There will be no standing.
On both school and public services:
- It is not the bus driver’s responsibility to maintain or supervise physical distancing on board the bus. Please respect the driver’s physical distance when entering and exiting the bus.
- Capacity on bus services will be greatly reduced as no standing is permitted.
- The specific measures we are taking in relation to our public transport network can be found on the Metlink Website.
o COVID-19 – News and Important Information, Metlink Website
· We have also included the update from the Prime Minister for your convenience.
o COVID-19- Government Update on moving to Alert Level 2
Lateness to school:
Due to restrictions on the capacity of public trains and public or school buses, under Alert Level 2 normal lateness rules will not apply. Students who arrive to school late will not be marked late. They will still need to sign in at the Student Centre on arrival.
The College is very aware of the impact that transport will have on students getting to school and home from school. We will be monitoring the situation and will make you aware of any decisions we make. Please feel free to email us back any feedback on how the travelling is going for your son.
Thank you for your patience and understanding.
Ngā mihi nui